Monday, December 31, 2012

The Animals

These are the animals I have freely accepted into my home. I'm kinda fond of both of them. How could you not be. Since my wife and I married at an age after kids, other than the two teenagers we have, we have Jack the dog and Jill the cat as our babies. We got both from friends who either had too many pets or couldn't care for them and boy did we get lucky.
Jack came to us with long matted hair and was very shy and afraid. It seems that the house he was in had several other dogs, large and small, puppies and mature and he was small and scared. The matting of his hair also led to him being very uncomfortable. When he came into our home he was a momma's boy, literally! He would sit in my wife's lap, he was scared of a leash, and he would not interact with me our the kids. That night as we were going to bed I was trying to find a warm comfortable place for the pup to sleep when into the bedroom, with dog in arms, walked my wife. She informed me that the dog would be sleeping with us!! What could I say. This was on a Friday night.
The next Monday we had a mobile groomer come by give him a once over. Bath, clipping, massage, steam, sauna....the dog works. Not knowing what to expect after this doggie torture I anxiously awaited hid return. The door bell rang and in came "Jack"!!!!! Yes he was a new dog and he came in strutting snorting and grunting as if to say, thank you for my new haircut and I think I am gonna like it here.
Those first two days I thought he was going to be a girls dog, but after the haircut I found out he was daddy's boy. Yes he is a manly dog!
The cat was NOT my idea. Actually I fought it as long as I could. When Jill came to us she was tiny. Literally the runt of the litter. I was scared how the dog might react seeing how earlier he had run down a chipmunk in our back yard. After introductions and careful observance we found that Jack had accepted her as she did him and they really are bother and sister now. It's funny that although Jill is a cat, she was raise by a dog and has many of the dogs traits.




No comments: